Taking a proctored exam online with ProctorU
The Office of Digital Learning has partnered with ProctorU to offer exam proctoring online. A Las Cruces campus student who is taking an online course can use this service if the online course instructor allows it and the student pays for it. In order to get the most affordable price, it’s highly recommended you schedule an appointment with ProctorU at least three days before the day and time you plan on taking the exam. See the cost schedule below.
Taking an exam with ProctorU
- Check the course syllabus for information about exam proctoring using ProctorU. If there isn’t information, contact the instructor to verify the online exam proctoring policy.
- If the instructor allows exam proctoring by ProctorU, review the Technical Specifications and watch the How It Works video at NMSU’s ProctorU portal. ProctorU Test-Taker Detailed Service Description will help you decide if ProctorU is the right choice. For more information, visit our Live + Resource Center, our one stop shop for students (and instructors!) to get all relevant and necessary information about ProctorU.
- Schedule your exam at NMSU’s ProctorU portal. It’s recommended that you test your computer before completing this step.
- You will create a ProctorU account. Write down your Username and Password! Be prepared to pay with a debit or credit card to complete the scheduling of an exam appointment. Please note: The cost of the exam is based on the amount of time allotted by the instructor and not the time it took you to complete the exam.
- Your exam appointment will be confirmed by a ProctorU email.
- The day and time of the exam, log on to your ProctorU account with your Username and Password. Click on the link to your exam.
- Before you begin the exam proctoring session, the exam proctor(s) will authenticate your identity. Be prepared with two forms of government issue photo ID, such as your NM driver’s license or NMSU ID. You will also be asked identifier questions.
- Be prepared to log in to your Canvas online course in order to access the online exam.
- Take your proctored exam online.
Request Support from ProctorU
Users can request and receive support by completing the Support Ticket Form.
Understanding User Needs: All required information is received upfront. Previously, the support team would often have to send several messages to get all the required details of a user’s inquiry before moving toward a resolution.
Understanding Institutional Needs: This will provide our team with more accurate reporting for user role, testing organization, and issue category
Quicker resolution times: More accurate internal routing and triaging for support teams
Cost of ProctorU
Payment of all proctoring fees will be the obligation of the individual examinee. Any charges applicable to the examinee must be paid with a credit or debit card. The examinee will be required to enter payment information into a secure page connected to a third-party card processor. The page is encrypted and ProctorU does not see or store the credit card data. Examinees will have to re-enter payment information each time new charges are incurred.
The cost for exam proctoring is based on allotted exam time per the instructor and length of time of advance notification for scheduling. For example, even though a student takes 48 minutes to complete the exam, if the instructor allots 2 hours for the exam, the student pays for 61-120 minutes per the scheduling chart below, .
- Flex Scheduling appointments are made at least 72 hours before the desired start time.
- Take It Soon appointments are scheduled within 72 hours of the chosen start time.
- Take It Now tests are on-demand with no appointment needed.
|Exam Length||Flex Scheduling||Take It Soon||Take It Now|
|30 minutes or less||$8.75||$13.75||$17.50|
|181 minutes or more||$40.00||$45.00||$48.75|